This gallery includes images from Arrowtown including Buckingham Street, the Arrow River and the Chinese Settlement.
William Rees and Nicholas von Tunzelmann were the first Europeans to establish farms in the Arrowtown area. The Arrow River was described as ‘flowing like silver threads through the blackened matagouri scrub-clothed plains.’ It was not the silver look of the river but the gold it contained that saw Arrowtown evolve. Jack Tewa, a shearer, was the first to discover gold around May 1861, followed by either William (Bill) Fox or the team of Thomas Low and John MacGregor late in 1862. Being a forceful character, Fox took credit for the discovery and for a while the town was called Fox’s. Gold eventually became harder to extract and the opening up of the West Coast goldfields in 1865 saw European miners heading for the riches there. This impacted on the Otago economy and in an attempt to restimulate it the Otago Provincial Government invited Chinese miners to come to the Otago goldfields. The Chinese created a separate settlement in Arrowtown, remaining until 1928. Source; web. (edited).
Buckingham Street, Arrowtown.
Arrowtown Buckingham St 1 Apr 2013 Arrowtown Buckingham St 1 Oct 2009 Arrowtown Buckingham St 4 Apr 2013
Chinese Settlement, Arrowtown.
The Arrowtown Chinese Settlement is a reminder and tribute to the contribution made by the Chinese goldminers and business people to the region’s goldmining, cultural and business history. Often victims of discrimination they lived on the fringes of European settlements and in isolated gullies close to their mining claims. Chinese that died were either buried in graves in a Chinese section or just outside the cemetery. By 1885, the Arrowtown settlement had grown to consist of about ten huts, a large social hall and at least two stores. There was also an extensive garden area. A range of construction techniques was used for the buildings, including mud brick, mortared stone, wood, corrugated iron, and canvas. Some buildings were thatched while others were roofed with corrugated iron. Source; Department of Conservation.
Ah Lums Store 2 Oct 2009 Chinese Settlement 1 Oct 2009 Chinese Settlement 2 Oct 2009