Colville town is the service and social centre for the remote north of the Coromandel. It has a co-operatively-owned general store, postal delivery centre, volunteer fire brigade, school, community hall and several houses. Just beyond the town is the beginning of the Te Moehau Range, which forms the bulk of the northern end of the Coromandel Peninsula, and contains valuable ecological areas, including a population of the threatened North Island brown kiwi. The town took its name from the cape, which Captain James Cook named on 18 November 1769 after Rear Admiral Lord Colville, under whom Cook had previously served on HMS Northumberland in the Royal Navy. Colville was once known as Cabbage Bay, thought to be in reference to the cabbage trees in the bay. The township grew following the construction of a general store with a motor garage alongside. This was built by Richard Goudie, a local man whose grandparents had settled in Cabbage Bay. Dick Goudie later ran a taxi service from the town, being the first to drive a motor vehicle across the new bridge at Papa Aroha which opened up the northern peninsula from Coromandel. Source; Wikipedia.
Port Jackson Road. Colville to Port Jackson. Coromandel.
Red Barn and Boat Shed 5 2013 Port Jackson Rd 2 Dec 2014 Colville Harbour Summer Storm 1 Dec 2014