Para O Tane.
The Para O Tane palace was built in 1840 of limestone (obtained from coral stones burned for days then slaked) and local timbers used for the framing. A cyclone in 1942 seriously damaged the building but it was restored to its former glory in 1992/93 by local people and students of Auckland University Architecture school, under the tutelage of Harry Turbott. On this site many important historical events took place, including the hoisting of the British flag and the subsequent signing of the proclamation in 1888 making the Hervey Islands (now the southern islands of the Cook Islands) a British protectorate. It is also the site of the signing of the New Zealand annexation document by the then New Zealand Governor-General, Lord Ranfurly, on 11 June 1901. Source web, Jean Mason, Cook Islands Library and Museum Society, 20th August 2017.
Para o Tane 4 2017 Para o Tane 3 2017 Para o Tane 6 2017